Spread the love
- 1 ½teaspoons olive oil (extra virgin)
- 1 tablespoon butter (unsalted)
- 2 ounces pork belly, sliced & uncured, or bacon (dice into ¼ inch pieces)
- 3 scallions, (use only white/light green parts, save the rest for another use). Slice thinly crosswise.
- 8 ounces fresh green shelled peas, peeling optional (view notes)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons veal or chicken stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 romaine lettuce leaves (cut into ½ inch ribbons by slicing crosswise)
- Combine the olive oil & butter in a medium skillet on a medium heat. Once melted, add the pork belly/bacon, and sauté until beginning to crisp & brown, roughly 2 minutes.
- Add the peas and scallions, stir for a minute. Add the stock and season with salt & pepper according to individual preferences. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until the peas are barely tender but well heated (roughly 1-3 min, dependent on freshness & size of peas.)
- Add the lettuce, then stir to mix before removing from the heat. Serve instantly and enjoy!
- You’ll find that small peas don’t need to be peeled, but larger peas may. To peel in the traditional way, submerge the shelled peas in boiling water for 20 seconds, drain, run under cool water, and drain once more. Gently press on one side of the pea and the skin will slip off. The pea inside will be split into two parts. Discard the skins, and reserve the split peas.