- 8 well-rounded heads of Little Gem or bibb lettuce
- 8 tablespoons butter (unsalted)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings):
250 calories; 23 grams fat; 14 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 6 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 8 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams dietary fiber; 3 grams sugars; 4 grams protein; 61 milligrams cholesterol; 843 milligrams sodium.
The information shown is estimate based on available ingredients and preparation. This should not take the place of a professional nutritionist’s advice.
- Trim the outer leaves, and roughly ½ inch of the stem from your lettuce heads, leaving a tight, reasonably firm center (roughly the size of a large lemon). Keep approx. 15 unbruised outer leaves. Rinse the heads & leaves, and remove excess water with a light shake.
- Using 1 tablespoon of butter, grease the bottom & sides of a heavy 3-quart casserole dish. Line the sides and bottom of the casserole with the outer leaves, before placing the trimmed heads upright, and snugly, in the casserole. Dot with the remaining butter, season with salt & pepper according to taste, and cover before placing over a very low heat. Wait until lettuce is tender (poke in center with a small knife) – approximately 1 hour. Make sure the butter is emulsified by swirling the casserole from time to time.
- Remove lettuce to a serving dish. Discard loose leaves. Swirl sauce in pan, whisk in lemon juice, check seasoning and spoon sauce over lettuce. Serve.
- Remove from heat and place on a serving dish, discarding loose leaves. Swirl remaining sauce, whisk in the lemon juice, check seasoning (adjust if needed), and spoon on top of the lettuce before serving. Enjoy!