Spread the love
This full flavored pizza has a delightful cracker-like crust, with a satisfying slight chew.
- 7 grams flaxseed meal (approx. 1 tablespoon)
- 500 grams gluten-free flour blend about 4 cups, purchased or homemade (see recipe)
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt, kosher
- 15 grams active-dry yeast (about 4 teaspoons)
- ¼ cup olive oil, extra virgin, & more as required
- Cornmeal for dusting
- 2 garlic cloves (peel, and slice paper-thin)
- ½ cup grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- ⅓ cup olives (roughly chopped)
- ½ pound regular or buffalo mozzarella, sliced
- ½ cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- Crushed red chile flakes, according to preference
- Flaky sea salt, optional
- Pour 2 tablespoons of boiling water over the flaxseed. Quickly whish until a thick paste forms, then cool.
- Using a stand mixer with appropriate paddle attached, mix the flour & salt.
- In a different small bowl, softly stir the yeast & olive oil together, along with ½ cup warm water. Allow to rest a few minutes to activate the yeast.
- Add the flaxseed to the dry ingredients and combine for 10 seconds. Next, pour the yeast/oil/water mix into the dry ingredients. Setting the mixer to medium, mix for a few moments. Stop when the dough forms a soft ball around the paddle, when it feels pliable & soft. Allow dough to rise in a warm place for roughly an hour.
- While you’re waiting, heat the oven to 450 degrees & place a rack in the upper third of the oven. If using a pizza stone, heat it by placing it on the rack. If not, instead sprinkle gluten-free cornmeal on a pizza tray or baking sheet.
- Split the dough into two. Roll each piece between 2 sheets of parchment/baking paper, forming ¼ inch thick rounds. (Place one in the refrigerator while the first one bakes). Removing the top layer of parchment, flip the dough onto the tray or pizza stone, and then remove the other piece of parchment/baking paper. Crimp the edges if you so desire, and brush the top with some olive oil.
- Bake until the dough starts to crisp, and the edges brown, roughly 8-10 min.
- Take the crust out of the oven, adding half of the garlic slices, grape tomatoes, mozzarella, olives, parmesan & chile flakes. Drizzle with olive oil and bake for approx. 8 minutes – ready when the cheese is melting & bubbling. To finish, drizzle with more oil & sprinkle with flaky salt (if desired).
- Repeat these steps with the second dough & remaining toppings.