Due to the heft of these peppers, this dish is sufficient enough to be served as a main. Extra small bell peppers are stuffed with a mild feta, and baked with a lavish handful of herbaceous bread crumbs. Although a simple dish, these peppers come with an amazingly complex taste – perfect at both room temperature or warmed.
- 6 1-inch-thick slices day-old French bread (remove crust)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves (grated)
- 3 tablespoons parsley (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons thyme (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon rosemary (chopped)
- 1 ounce Parmesan (grated)
- Salt and pepper
- 6 small sweet peppers, about 1 pound
- 6 ounces mild feta cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Dice bread into 1-inch cubes, place in a food processor and pulse in batches until you have soft, coarse crumbs – should yield roughly 3 cups. Toss crumbs with olive oil before spreading out onto a baking sheet. Bake, stirring regularly, until barely browned, and crisp – roughly 15 minutes. Place the baked crumbs into a bowl, and add the garlic, thyme, parsley, rosemary & parmesan. Season with salt & pepper according to your preference, and toss well to mix. Set aside for later.
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise, & remove any seeds. Take a low-sided baking dish, and arrange peppers in a single layer. Lightly season the cut side with salt. Fill each pepper with ½ ounce crumbled feta, using your fingers to press in the cheese. Using a spoon, evenly divide the seasoned crumbs among the halved peppers.
- Bake for roughly 30 minutes, until the cheese is softened and the crumbs are golden. Serve warm straight from the baking dish, and enjoy!