Spread the love
Nigella Lawson’s French Lasagne (savory baked croissant pudding) uses up stale croissants by splitting & stuffing them with ham & cheese, before sprinkling them with more cheese, dousing them in garlic-milk infused beaten eggs. The croissants don’t need to be stale to achieve this delicious eggy, cheesy wonder. If they are fresh though, you can choose to leave them on the counter to dry out, or even briefly toast them in the oven.
- 4 cups milk (whole)
- 1 clove garlic (peeled, lightly crushed)
- 4 large eggs (beaten together)
- 5 stale croissants (halved lengthwise, as you would a sandwich)
- 5 slices ham (thin)
- 14-ounce ball fresh mozzarella, cut into 5 slices
- 8 ounces grated cheddar
- Combine milk & garlic in a medium saucepan. Place over high heat until almost boiled. Remove from heat, and allow to rest for 15-20 min. Remove & discard the garlic, and drizzle the eggs into the milk whilst vigorously whisking. Set aside for later.
- Line a baking dish with the bottoms of the croissants, cut side up. Use a baking dish that can fit them snugly in a single layer (A 10×13 in dish seems to work well.) On each croissant half, place a slice of ham & mozzarella. Top with remaining croissant halves, this time cut side down.
- Sprinkle 2/3 of your cheddar on top of the croissants before pouring the milk mixture over the top. Using a fork, press the croissants down to ensure they’re covered by the milk. Repeat once or twice until the croissant tops absorb some of the milk mixture. Set aside for 20 min; Whilst waiting, heat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheddar over the top of the croissants. Bake until, set, puffy & golden (approx. 30 min) Serve instantly!