The last of the tomato crop, and that last bit of hardened baguette is exactly what this recipe was designed for. The bread is what gives this gazpacho its wonderful texture. If you keep a pitcher of this ready in the refrigerator, you’ll never be short of a refreshing snack, or a quick & healthy lunch.
- 2 thick slices stale French bread (remove crusts)(about 1 ounce)
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes (core and peel)
- 2 garlic cloves (more if desired) (halve & remove green shoots
- 1 slice red or white onion (chop coarsely & rinse in cold water)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (extra virgin)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sherry or wine vinegar (to preference)
- ½ to 1 cup ice water (depends on preferred thickness of soup)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Garnishes (optional)
- ½ cup cucumber, finely chopped (more if desired)
- ½ cup green pepper, finely chopped
- ½ cup small croutons (a fantastic place to use any remaining stale bread)
- 1 hardboiled egg, finely chopped
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings):
138 calories; 8 grams fat; 3 grams protein; 0 grams trans fat; 5 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram saturated fat;1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 12 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 4 grams sugars; 39 milligrams cholesterol; 534 milligrams sodium.
The information shown is only an estimate based on the available ingredients and specified preparation. This should not take the place of a professional nutritionist’s advice.
- In a bowl, place your bread and sprinkle with sufficient water to soften. Allow to sit until soft enough to squeeze, roughly 5 minutes, and remove water by squeezing.
- Combine the bread, garlic, tomatoes, onion, vinegar, olive oil, and salt in a blender – blend until smooth. Taste, and adjust seasoning if required. Transfer to a pitcher or bowl, and thin as preferred with water. Next, cover and let chill for several hours.
- While waiting, prepare your chosen garnishes. After finely chopping, place in small bowls and on a tray or platter. Serve the soup in bowls or glasses, and pass garnishes around to guests.