This sensational salad is made with tender dandelion leaves. Modeled after a Parisian bistro classic, this recipe has a vinaigrette with added ginger & lime to better gold up against the slightly bitter edge of the dandelions. A very French tasting salad, along with some equally French goat cheese toasts!
- 2 garlic cloves (smash into paste, season with salt)
- 2 teaspoons ginger (grated)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (extra-virgin) plus more for the goat cheese toasts
- 6 medium beets (cook & peel) (see note below)
- 6 ounces bacon (sliced into 1/4-inch-thick lardons)
- 6 baguette slices
- 6 ounces fresh goat cheese (cut into 1/2-inch rounds)
- 6 ounces dandelion greens (trim, wash, & dry)
- 38-minute hard-cooked eggs (shell, quarter, lightly season)
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings):
387 calories; 14 grams protein; 29 grams fat; 0 grams trans fat; 13 grams monounsaturated fat; 9 grams saturated fat; 3 grams polyunsaturated fat; 17 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams dietary fiber; 6 grams sugars; 106 milligrams cholesterol; 544 milligrams sodium
The information shown is only an estimate based on the available ingredients and specified preparation. This should not take the place of a professional nutritionist’s advice.
- For the vinaigrette: Whisk together garlic, ginger, sherry vinegar, lime juice & mustard in a small bowl. Salt & pepper to season, then whisk in your olive oil. Taste, and adjust seasoning if needed. Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice your beets into ¾ inch wedges. Place in a bowl and season with salt & pepper to preference. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of vinaigrette, and mix well. Set aside at room temperature for 10 minutes, or place in refrigerator for a max of 4 hours.
- Heat a skillet over a medium-high heat. Add your bacon lardons, and allow to sizzle & brown, then reduce heat and cook slowly, stirring every so often, for approximately 5 minutes – the lardons should be lightly brown, and barely crispy. Take out of pan using a slotted spoon, and keep warm.
- Take your baguette slices and lightly brush both sides with olive oil, then top each piece with a slice of goat cheese. Bake until the bread is toasted & cheese slightly softened – approx. 10 minutes. In a large shallow bowl, place your dandelion greens. Lightly season with salt & pepper, and toss gently to coat. Add no more than 3 tablespoons of vinaigrette, and combine to evenly coat. Next, portion the leaves among 6 plates.
- Garnish each plate with bacon, beets, hard-cooked eggs, and your cheese toast. Alternatively, you can scatter the garnishes over the top of the salad in a family style of serving.
- You can cook & peel the beets up to 2 days in advance. Place in a single layer in a low-sided baking dish (if very large, cut them in half vertically). Add 1-2 cups of water and cover tightly with foil. Bake at 350, until tender when poked with the tip of a paring knife, approximately 1h 15min. If you prefer, you can simmer the beets on the stovetop. Take off heat & allow to cool somewhat, but be sure to peel while they’re still warm – with a bit of gentle pressure, the skins should slip right off. If planning to use immediately, slice into wedges and dress with vinaigrette. If not, wrap them well & place in refrigerator.