You may find that the best tasting tomatoes are often not the most beautiful. Misshapen, gnarly, split-topped tomatoes are often the sweetest. Overripe tomatoes discounted at farmer’s markets are also ideal for this chilled soup. This no-cook delectable soup is perfect for the end of summer when tomatoes are at their finest. Make this a substantial meal by adding toast & avocado.
For the chilled soup:
- 3 pounds ripe red tomatoes (core & dice)
- 4 large garlic cloves (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, more if required
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (extra virgin)
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- Black pepper, to preference
- Generous pinch cayenne
For the garnish:
- 1 cup bell peppers (finely diced ) (mix of colors is preferable)
- ½ cup sweet onion, such as Vidalia (finely diced)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (extra virgin)
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 6 slices freshly toasted ciabatta or French bread
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 firm ripe avocado
- 2 tablespoons parsley (chopped_
- 2 tablespoons chives (chopped)
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings):
261 calories; 4 grams protein; 19 grams fat; 2 grams saturated fat; 13 grams monounsaturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 21 grams carbohydrates; 8 grams dietary fiber; 8 grams sugars; 785 milligrams sodium
The information shown is only an estimate based on the available ingredients and specified preparation. This should not take the place of a professional nutritionist’s advice.
- In a non-reactive bowl, place your tomatoes & garlic and sprinkle with salt. Add 4 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons vinegar, cayenne & black pepper. Combine well and allow to macerate for a minimum of 15, up to a max of 60 minutes.
- In a food processor or blender, pulse the tomatoes until just crushed. Place in a food mill or strainer in order to remove the skins & seeds. Press well to acquire all the juices – you should have roughly 5 cups. Add sufficient ice water to yield 6 cups. Stir, taste, and adjust seasoning if required. All to chill on a bowl of ice for 15 min, or refrigerate for several hours.
- 30 minutes before serving, make the pepper relish. In a small bowl, pace the diced peppers & onions – season with salt & pepper. Add 1 tablespoons sherry vinegar, 2 tablespoons olive oil, combine well & set aside for later.
- When serving, lightly rub each piece of toast with garlic. Top with thick slices of avocado and season with salt & pepper according to preferences. Put a slice of avocado toast in each bowl before ladling in roughly 1 cup of chilled soup. Finish with a generous spoon of your pepper relish, and garnish with chives & parsley.