Deep-fried tofu with pineapple and chilli is a sweet and sour vegan Asian recipe. It has a perfect combination of juicy pineapple, crunchy peppers, and chewy baked tofu. This tasty dish would make a great starter or snack. It can be served with rice or any noodle. It is really easy to cook and just one step that takes time is in baking tofu cubes.
- 4 large red chilli peppers
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 600-800 g pineapple
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1–2 tsp fish sauce (optional)
- 12 oz hard tofu
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- Salt to taste
- Caramel for serving
- Cut 4 large red chilli peppers in half. Remove seeds. Grind in a mortar along with 4 garlic cloves and a small pinch of salt. Transfer to a saucepan. Add brown sugar and bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Peel a small pineapple. Cut the pulp into medium pieces and remove excess juice.
- Add pineapple to the saucepan and cook over low heat until melted sugar. Remove from heat and add 1–2 tablespoons of fish sauce if desired.
- Cut tofu into cubes. Dip in corn flour and wok until golden brown. Transfer tofu to paper towels.
- Place tofu and pineapples in bowls. Drizzle with caramel and serve. Garnish with basil leaves.