Spread the love
This gingerbread is a favorite at the gluten-free bakery founded by Karen Morgan, The Blackbird Bakery, in Austin, Texas. Lavishly laced with aromatic spices, you’ll find both candied & fresh ginger in this gingerbread.
- ⅔ cup sorghum flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons guar gum
- ½ cup brown sugar (packed light)
- ½ cup brown sugar (packed dark)
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon (ground)
- 1 teaspoon allspice (ground)
- ½ teaspoon cloves (ground)
- ½ cup (1 stick) and an additional 3 tablespoons butter, unsalted (room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger (grated)
- ⅔ cup organic buttermilk
- ⅓ cup blackstrap molasses
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup crystallized (candied) ginger
- Nutritional analysis per serving (8 servings)
536 calories; 17 grams fat; 3 grams protein; 10 grams saturated fat; 4 grams monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 0 grams trans fat;92 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 52 grams sugars; 89 milligrams cholesterol; 250 milligrams sodium
The information shown is only an estimate based on the available ingredients and specified preparation. This should not take the place of a professional nutritionist’s advice.
- Place a rack in the center of the oven, and preheat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Take a 5 by 9 inch loaf pan and grease liberally.
- Combine all the dry ingredients, including spices and sugars, in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment – mix on low until evenly blended. Add the butter, and mix again until blended. After adding the fresh ginger, molasses, buttermilk, eggs & vanilla, mix on a med-high speed until fluffy and light. Then, fold in your crystallized ginger.
- Transfer the batter to your prepared pan, smooth its top, and loosely cover with foil. Bake until lightly browned, and an inserted wooden skewer comes out cleanly – approximately 45 minutes. This can also be baked in an 8×8 inch square pan, but be sure to reduce the time baking to 25-30.
- Take out of oven and allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Unmold onto the wire rack, and allow to cool a little more (or even completely). Cut into slices, and serve either warm or room temperature.