Spread the love
There are two main reasons I like cooking with shrimp. First, it is ready in a flash. Second, it can get any flavor you throw its way. Here, I cook it in a turmeric-cardamom sauce with loads of fresh garlic and ginger.
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 500–600 g large raw shrimp (peeled)
- 1 large onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 cm fresh ginger root
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 ½ tsp turmeric
- Melted butter
- Peel and finely chop ginger and garlic. Divide the mixture in half.
- In a saucepan with a thick bottom, slightly heat 2 tablespoons of butter. Add cardamom, raisins, ½ ginger and garlic mixture. Fry on low heat for 2 minutes.
- Add rice and salt, cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric. Mix and pour 1 ½ cups of boiling water. Stir, cover with the lid and increase the heat. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat, cook for another 7 minutes. Do not open! Remove the pan from the heat and put in a warm place for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle shrimp with salt and pepper.
- In a large deep sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat and add shrimp. Add the remaining garlic with ginger. Fry shrimp over medium heat on both sides for 4–5 minutes. Sprinkle with turmeric.
- Put rice on plates, top with shrimp and pour in the liquid from the pan.
- Serve hot.