Spread the love
- ½ ounce morel mushrooms (dried)
- 3 ½ pounds chicken (cut into serving portions)
- black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 14 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion (halve & slice thinly)
- 1 ½ cups vin jaune (if unavailable, replace with ¾ cup dry white & ¾ cup dry sherry)
- 8 ounces mixed mushrooms, sliced thinly (cremini, oyster, shiitake, or others work well)
- 1 tablespoon crème fraîche
- 3 tablespoons flour (all-purpose)
- Place morels in a bowl & cover with hot water, setting aside to allow to soak. While waiting, season your chicken pieces with salt & pepper according to individual preferences. Heat the olive oil & 5 tablespoons of butter in a heavy flameproof casserole dish over a medium heat.
- Add your onions & chicken, and sauté, being sure to turn every so often until the chicken has completely browned, approx. 15 minutes. Add 1 cup vin jaune (or ½ cup white & ½ sherry), stirring while scraping the bottom of the pan. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Cover, and allow to cook on a low heat for 45 minutes – 15 minutes prior to the chicken being ready, prepare your mushrooms.
- Drain the morels, but reserve & strain your soaking liquid. Add 5 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over low heat. When melted, begin to sauté your morels for roughly 10 minutes. Add the sliced mushrooms and resume sautéing until they’re all lightly brown, approx.. 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms & any liquid into your chicken mixture before adding the crème fraîche and combining.
- Take your remaining 4 tablespoons of butter and knead with the flour until smooth. Add to your chicken along with the morel soaking liquid & remaining vin jaune (or wine & sherry). Over a low heat, stir until smooth & thickened – do not allow to reach boiling. Taste, and adjust salt & pepper as required.