Spread the love
Resembling large eggy gougère, this puffy cheese-filled pancake is a delightfully surprising side dish to fish, or roasted meat. To create a simple, elegant first course or light lunch, this puff can also be paired with a green salad. Serve at its puffiest, fresh from the oven.
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ cup flour (all-purpose)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ cup Gruyère cheese, grated (roughly 3 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- Coarse sea salt, for sprinkling
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, flour, milk, salt & pepper until a smooth consistency. Stir in the cheese.
- Melt the butter in a 9-inch ovenproof skillet. Coat all sides by swirling around the butter, and transfer to the oven. Bake until dark golden, and puffed, approx. 30 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and serve hot from the oven.