Depending where you live, tomatoes may just be coming into market. This dish is very much okay with slightly under-ripe tomatoes.
- 4 ounces whole-wheat bread, no crusts (remove crusts before weighing)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 ¾ cups low-fat milk (1-2%)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ pound mushrooms (sliced)
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine (optional)
- 1 pound roma tomatoes (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon fresh rosemary (chopped)
- 4 eggs
- 2 ounces Gruyère cheese, grated (1/2 cup)
- 1 ounce Parmesan, grated (1/4 cup)
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings):
248 calories; 13 grams fat; 5 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 6 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 17 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 7 grams sugars; 15 grams protein; 125 milligrams cholesterol; 307 milligrams sodium
The information shown is estimate based on available ingredients and preparation. This should not be used as a replacement for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
- If using a whole loaf, slice the bread ¾ in thick. Toast lightly if choosing to use fresh bread rather than stale. Cut 1 garlic clove in half, and rub cut side of garlic on each slice of bread. Cut bread into 1 in dice, place in a bowl, and lightly mix with 1 cup of milk. Refrigerate for an hour, making sure to toss every so often. Chop the left over garlic, and set aside for later.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil a 10 in ceramic tart pan, or a 2-quart baking dish. In a large, heavy skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over med-high heat. Add mushrooms once oil is hot. Cook, frequently stirring, until seared & softened, approx. minutes. Season with plentiful sprinkle of salt, and add the garlic & thyme. Stir together until mushrooms are tender, and garlic is fragrant, approx. 1-2 minutes, before adding the wine. Cook & stir often until the wine is no longer visible, roughly 1 minute, before removing from the heat.
- Take the bowl of soaked bread out from the refrigerator. Use a wooden spoon/whish/immersion blender to mash or beat the soaked bread until it turns to mush. Add the mushrooms and combine together. Season with salt & pepper according to preference. Scrape into the oiled baking dish or ceramic pan.
- Heat up the mushrooms skillet over high heat, and add the last of the olive oil (1 tablespoon). Toss the tomatoes with the balsamic vinegar in a medium bowl, and salt to preference. Remove the tomato slices from bowl and arrange in the pan using tongs. Sear each side for 1 minute. Take off heat, and arrange in a layer on top of the bread mixture in the baking dish. Sprinle with rosemary and season with pepper. Finish with the grated cheese.
- Beat the eggs with remainder of the milk, salt according to taste (approx. ½ teaspoon), as well as the freshly ground pepper. Pour the egg mixture on top of the tomato & bread mix, and put into the oven. Bake for 50-60 min, until mixture is golden brown on top, puffy, and set. Take off heat & let cool for 10 minutes (or longer) before plating.
- Prepare in advance: Steps 1-4 can be prepared hours before you assemble and bake this dish. As for the baked strata, it will keep for 3-4 days refrigerated. Easily reheated in a medium oven.