Chicken with pomegranate sauce, broccoli, mushrooms and rice is an easy dinner loaded with simple ingredients. If broccoli isn’t a vegetable your family loves you can replace it with spinach or asparagus. This dish is great for a busy weeknight when things are hectic.
- 2 lb chicken breast fillet
- 250 g champignon
- 300 g fresh or frozen broccoli
- 4 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 1 inch ginger root
- 2 cups chicken broth or water
- Salt to taste
For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dark sesame oil
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp chili paste
- Peel ginger and grate finely.
- Rinse rice and dry. Fry rice in a small frying pan with vegetable oil over medium heat, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add ginger and fry for one more minute. Pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil. Then cover the pan and reduce heat. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Cut mushrooms into slices. Cut broccoli into small florets.
- Cut chicken fillet into small cubes and put them into a plastic bag. Add flour and shake to cover all pieces of chicken with flour.
- Peel garlic and pestle with a pinch of salt into paste.
- In a small bowl, mix sesame oil, pomegranate juice, soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, garlic and chili paste.
- Heat a large wok or pan over high heat. Pour in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Fry chicken until golden brown from all sides, for 3-4 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate and keep warm.
- Heat the wok over high heat again and pour in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Fry broccoli and mushrooms, stirring, for 3-5 minutes. Reduce heat to minimum and pour in the sauce. Return the chicken fillet to the wok, bring to a boil and cook for 7-10 minutes until the sauce thickens. Remove the wok from the heat and add 3 tablespoons of sesame seeds, mix.
- Put rice on plates. Top with chicken and vegetables. Sprinkle with the remaining sesame seeds and pomegranate seeds.